Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I complain about poor government service?

Operators at Government call centres and helplines will provide assistance. You can also call the relevant department or state agency.

The Presidential Hotline 17737 should be used when all your attempts to get assistance from a government department, province, municipality or state agency have failed. It is not only a complaints line. You can call to share your views or provide solutions to the challenges in your community.

The publication Know your Service Rights provides information on what you could expect from government.

How long does a complaint take from registration to finalization at IPID?

Each matter is dealt with on its merit and the nature of the case will determine the time it will take for IPID to finalize its investigation. The process is also dependent on other external factors such as Ballistic Results and a decision by the Director of Public Prosecution on recommendations made by the IPID.

Is IPID separate from South African Police Service (SAPS)?

Yes, the IPID operates independently from SAPS in its impartial investigations of criminality and misconduct allegedly committed by a member of the South African Police Service.

Can IPID take-over my docket from SAPS for further investigation?

IPID may take-over an investigation in cases where a SAPS member is the accused and if there are reasonable grounds to suggest that a continued investigation by SAPS might compromise the case.